The Millinery Trade

 

Gladys Leslie who lived at 289 Concord Road, Concord ran a small dressmaking and millinery business from home during the 1920’s and 1930’s. It was an occupation that women were able to continue in after marriage and children.

Gladys originally learnt dressmaking and tailoring in Lithgow, before joining a millinery firm in Sydney before marriage and living in Concord.

There was a time when ladies always accessorised their outfit with a hat and gloves for most occasions. It was considered chic for one’s hat to be individual, while maintaining the current look.

During the 1920’s, hat styles changed fast and dramatically. Radical changes in the way women dressed. Dresses became shorter and revealed lady’s shoes, but hats remained stable, unchanged in function or basic construction and has remained so until today.  Methods and materials have changed over time but fundamentally millinery principles have remained; the basic wooden hat blocks that were used one hundred years ago, are still in use. Fashion comes and goes but over time styles are repeated.

Millinery in Australia went into decline in the 1970’s and many milliners diversified into bridal headwear at the time. Hats have made a slight comeback as it’s fashionable to attend the horseraces in a smart or memorable style hat.

Kay Dawson

 

Similar Posts

  • Lavender Bay

    Many of us have heard of this bay, and seen it as we pass over the Harbour Bridge. The name Lavender Bay conjures up mental visions of a sweet-smelling flower; however, the naming of this bay was far from sweetness. In the later part of the 1780s a Royal Navy ship, the HM Bufallo, made…

  • From Our Collection

    Illuminated Address When Concord postmaster H. G. Kulmar was transferred to Emmaville his fellow citizens presented him with an illumination lauding his faithful service to the community over almost two decades. Henry George Kulmar was appointed postmaster in 1890 when Concord’s first dedicated post office was opened in a cottage on the corner of Burwood…

  • From our Collection

    OUR MAGIC LANTERN This projector, together with a box of slides, was donated to our museum by the family of Rev. Harmon Denning, who moved to Sydney in 1929 and became a missionary with the Sydney City Mission, first at Glebe for 2 or 3 years, then at Redfern for about 20 years, until his…

  • From Our Collection

    The Begging Boy This is a garden statue of a boy wearing clothes reminiscent of Oliver Twist who appears to be begging for something. There is no inscription on the object, but it was probably mounted on a plinth that could have contained some information. This object only came to light when we finally moved…

  • Bent Street, Concord

    Members of the City of Canada Bay Heritage Society would be aware that No. 1 Bent Street is the address of the Heritage Society’s Museum, located in the former Concord Library. Bent Street was named for Ellis Bent (1783-1815) who, before travelling to Sydney, accepted an appointment as Deputy Judge-Advocate of N.S.W. He arrived aboard…

Add your first comment to this post