On Saturday, 26h October firefighters were called to a fire at the Arthur Walker Reserve, Concord West, home of the Concord West Cricket Club. The clubhouse was totally enveloped when the five fire trucks and a cherry picker arrived shortly after 4:00 am. It took firefighters more than three hours to extinguish the fire.
The building was one of three small workers’ cottages in George Street, North Strathfield, part of the Arnott’s complex. They were saved from demolition by the City of Canada Bay Council when the site was being developed. Apart from this one, another became the clubhouse at the Greenlees Park Tennis Courts in Wellbank Street, Concord. The location of the third building is unknown.
According to a plaque the now destroyed cottage was transported to Concord West in 2013 from the old Arnott’s factory in North Strathfield.
The Arthur Walker Reserve has been home of the Concord West Cricket Club since 1940 and indicates the patronage of Dame Eadith Walker to local community organisations. Eadith was patron of the club (giving land for their first pitch in 1921 near the railway station, their second near Thomas Walker Hospital and this land in 1935).