Arthur William Sutton was an important part of Five Dock history. He was a successful businessman and, in 1871, was elected the first Mayor of Five Dock Council.
In 1878 he purchased (in the name of his wife Emily Mary [Robinson]), lot 125 of the Five Dock Estate subdivision, that was adjacent to their home, Waterview.
Between 1880 and 1882 he constructed a magnificent Italianate Victorian mansion, that his wife named Delapre, after an old Benedictine Abbey near her childhood home in Northampton.
In 1881 he sold, or gave to the Five Dock Council, the eastern half of Waterview on the condition it remain an open space in perpetuity. This is now Five Dock Park. The rest of Waterview was subdivided.
Due to a drop in land values in the late 1880s Arthur and Emily, and three of their children, moved out of Delapre and rented it out.
In 1896 the Sutton family sold the establishment to Dr C Gibbons, who renamed it Brocklesby.
Delapre’s history changed in 1910 when it was purchased by the Presentation Sisters (Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary – PBVM). The Sisters then changed the name from Brocklesby, as it was then called, to Domremy, in honour of the birthplace of St Joan of Arc, the patron saint of Haberfield Parish.
Domremy College was established on 25 January 1911 when the school opened with only 12 pupils. The first classroom was the mansion’s grand ballroom.
The College quickly developed into a co-educational school catering for infant, primary and secondary education up to the level of the Leaving Certificate.