Crossing the Parramatta River (part 2)

 

As previously explained, the Bailey and Cashman families took over the crossing service from about 1832 or soon after – both families competed for customers, each having a boat ready at any time. Old timers tell us that when a boat was required on the northern side, a hurricane lamp would be lit and slowly swung back and forth; the first boat to reach the other side would get the trade for about 2 cents per person. The type of boat used was known as a Waterman boat; examples of this boat can be seen in the National Maritime Museum.

Having made the crossing, the longest part of the journey would begin, first the long climb to the waiting coach at Punt Road. There were no way-stations and the coach would stop at the many creeks for the horses to drink, also to allow the passengers a comfort stop, so the journey would normally take up to ten hours from Bedlam Point to Brookvale.

Rear of the Red Cow Inn

The Bailey family had many interests, a quarry hotel called the Red Cow, and of course taking picnickers to the other side of the river. The remains of the quarry can be seen today at the far end of Battersea Park, the hand drill marks still visible. A gesture of outstanding generosity was the donation of the whole of this piece of land to Drummoyne Council.

One can only imagine the strength of character of our early travellers.
Local stone was quarried from nearby for the front of the inn, split hardwood slabs formed the sides and a slate roof over an old sail completed this welcome scene.

The Inn was a primitive long hut built with anything they could find – with two small rooms, three beds in each; the larger room was for everything else, cooking, drinking, not forgetting the nightly entertainment … one can only imagine what that was!

A good test for our modern outdoors people: try sleeping on a straw bag covered with a blanket, plus having the wind howling through the walls. Any takers?

Coach passing Sydney University on the new Parramatta Road

An open dray would take them to the new convict-built Parramatta Road. There they would board the coach and four to Sydney.

Nothing of the Red Cow Inn survives other than the cellar. A plaque has been erected in the Sydney Rowers Club to commemorate the spot where the Inn once stood.

A swimming baths existed in front of the Scout Hall and the 12 foot sailing club and in the late 1800s and early 1900 a tram ran down almost to the wharf. The Council converted the quarry to a picnic ground and with the addition of the tram, the park became a very popular place. Old-timers say that the boat shed made more money selling hot water for the traditional Aussie cup of tea than by ferrying passengers across the river.

Today, Ryde Council has built a very fine wharf at Bedlam Point and the National Parks have built a raised walkway to view the untouched landscape, as it was in the beginning. For those who are adventurous, you can walk to the top and dine at the now-famous Banjo Paterson Cottage Restaurant.

(Another excerpt from Abbotsford Cove Community Centre website, written by Don Coulter. published with permission.)

 

Similar Posts

  • Murder in Five Dock

    In December 1916 William Graham Eyles, a former alderman of Drummoyne, was sentenced to death in Sydney’s Central Criminal Court for the murder of his wife, Ellen, who was found hanging by a strap from a bedpost in her house in Courland Street, Five Dock. There were signs of a struggle with numerous bruises on…

  • |

    Growing Old

    Another year has passedAnd we’re all a little older.Last summer felt hotterAnd winter seems much colder. There was a time not long agoWhen life was quite a  blast.Now I fully understandAbout “living in the past”. We used to go to weddings,Football games and lunches . . .Now we go to funeral homesAnd after-funeral brunches. We…

  • From Our Collection

    The Begging Boy This is a garden statue of a boy wearing clothes reminiscent of Oliver Twist who appears to be begging for something. There is no inscription on the object, but it was probably mounted on a plinth that could have contained some information. This object only came to light when we finally moved…

  • The Enfield Tramline

    The Enfield system was a separate group of lines based around a depot in Enfield, in Sydney’s inner south-west. The system began as a steam tramway opening in 1891 between Ashfield station and Enfield. In 1901, this line was extended north to Mortlake, and in 1909 a branch to Cabarita Park was opened. The system was electrified in 1912. Services operated…

Add your first comment to this post