Named in honour of the Walker family (of Rhodes).
This name commemorates Mary Bray, who settled in this area with her husband John Bray soon after receiving a grant of land. There are several streets adjacent that commemorate members…
Attributed to John de Marquet Blaxland, eldest brother of Anna Walker (of Rhodes). The "de Marquet" (or "de Marquett”) surname was the maiden name of John's second wife.
(Formerly Church Street and formerly part of Blaxland Road.) Named to honour Joseph Llewellyn, second husband of Mary Bray of Rhodes.
(Formerly part of Blaxland Road.) Named after the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire, England. Thomas Walker (of Rhodes) had family associations with that city and area.
(Shown on a map of Rhodes as going off Gauthorpe Street at its western end, heading north and then turning at a right angle to the east). Not in either…
Named after Captain Henry Mangles Denham, R.N., who was a Marine Surveyor operating in the South Seas between 1852 and 1859.
Named after William Francis Cropley, who owned land on Uhrs Point that was offered for sale in 1912.
Later changed to Llewellyn Street
(Formerly Broke Street.) Named to honour a remarkable lady, Edith Louisa Cavell (1865-1915), a British Nurse of WWI.
Later changed to Cavell Avenue.
Named after John de Marquet Blaxland, Anna Walker's elder brother. At the same time it commemorates her "family" name. (Leeds Street and Llewellyn Street were previously part of this street.)
was a major industry which began production in Alfred Street, Rhodes in 1917. Production included white lead, linseed oil and paint. During the 1920s it supplied the 272,000 litres of…
became a major producer of chemicals and extruded polyethylene film at Rhodes.
a timber preservative manufacturer, was established in Rhodes in 1928. In 1957 Timbrol merged with the giant US Union Carbide organisation.
whose silos dominated Rhodes Point, were located on the earlier site of John Darling’s flour mills. Allied Mills, with its subsidiary Allied Feeds, took over the flour mill in 1963.
established in 1919, was situated in Rhodes
purchased the site from Hoskins in 1943 and produced acetic anhydride and cellulose acetate developed in response to war needs.
was located on the western side of the railway at Rhodes between 1911 and 1928.
for several years from 1974, manufactured Malvern Star and Speedwell bicycles across the road from Tulloch’s site, on the eastern side of Concord Road.
Unknown origin The large fig tree standing in the corner of this park is known as the “Strike Tree” as this is where the workers from Tulloch's Phoenix Iron Works…
Bray family were pioneer settlers with a land grant in 1794. Their home, “Braygrove”, was situated opposite on the other side of Concord Road. Alfred Llewellyn Bray was the first…
Named for King George V
After the founder of the Concord West Volunteer Fire Brigade and grandfather of Gary McIlwaine, MP
After George Richard Uhr, a Sheriff
This bridge opened in 1886 when the Sydney and NSW rail systems were undergoing a period of rapid expansion. John Whitton was a the designer of this bridge, was a…