This is an aboriginal word with several meanings: "native shield” (Sydney J. Endicott, “Aust. Aboriginal Words & Place Names & their Meanings" 1924. Reprinted 1990); "ghost, evil spirit, white person,…
Named after a native tree - a small shady tree (Geijera Parviflora), of inland eastern Australia, valuable as fodder in drought. ("The Macquarie Dictionary").
This street, by its proximity to King Street and George Street, leads me to reckon that it was named to honour the wife of King George V, Queen Mary, or…
Named after the founder of Tulloch's Phoenix Iron Works. Robert Tulloch (1851-1928) purchased land in Rhodes in 1914 and his factory finally closed in Rhodes in 1974.
Named for Sir Alexander Stuart (1824-1856), merchant and politician. He entered the Parliament of New South Wales, and in 1876 was appointed Colonial Treasurer, which position he held for about…
Many of the streets were named for Royalty, and as this street did not come into being until after WWI, the "Queen" considered must have been Queen Mary.
"Quandong" is a native tree, its botanical name "Santalum Acuminatum". Quandong Place is a branch of this street, in which some Aged Peoples' Housing was constructed post WW2.
Named after Tulloch's Phoenix Iron Works.
Aboriginal word, meaning "an Aboriginal living in a tribal way”.
This "family name" appears several times in the Sydney phone book, but has not emerged in any information concerning Concord.
Probably named by Robert Tulloch after a beautiful loch (Scottish lake) named after St. Maelrubha who, in AD671, founded a monastery nearby at Applecross, west coast of Scotland.
This street, along with others, suffered a name change because of the Great War. Originally Hanover Street, which was considered too German, it was changed to King Street for patriotic…
Most likely an aboriginal word, two of which could be likely. "caloola" for the verb "to climb"; or "kallalla" which means "fish".
The name given to the access road to the Thomas Walker Convalescent Hospital, which was built in 1891-1893.
Named after Harry Hillier, Mayor of Concord in 1910.
Named after William Harrison, whose grant (along with several others) was incorporated into Thomas Walker's estate, 1860.
Later changed to King Street.
There does not seem to be any clear association between this name and Concord or any known citizen, nor have I been able to find any place in Europe with…
During WWI and also immediately afterwards some streets were patriotically named. This street commemorated King George, reigning at that time.
Dame Eadith Walker's impressive access road to "Yaralla". Once described as “. . . the most beautiful thoroughfare around Sydney."
An aboriginal word, "currawang" is a word for the Bell or Black Magpie, Donkey bird, Crow, and Shrike. ("Aboriginal Words of Australia" A.H. & A.W. Reed. William Heineman 1965)
An aboriginal word, meaning "dirty water". ("Place Names of Australia" by A.W. Read. Literary Productions Ltd. 1973)
Named after Consett Stephen, a Solicitor of Sydney and a Trustee of the Walker Estate.
Named after the home of James Casey, who was Overseer of Works to Concord Council (1884-1930).
To honour Spencer Compton Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire (1833-1908), British Statesman.
Honours Robert 0'Hara Burke (1820-1861), the famous explorer who endeavoured to lead an expedition from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria in 1860 - and perished at the virtual accomplishment…
"Boronia" is a native (Australian) plant, the local variety of which is named "Boronia Ledifolia”. “Boronia” is also the name of the Dairyman’s cottage on the Yaralla estate.
"Bangala" is aboriginal for a "Water carrying vessel" (Sydney). ("Macquarie Aboriginal Words" The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd, 1994).
expanded operations with the purchase of land in George Street in 1928, supplying fabric and barbed wire to the army during the war.
was established in George Street in Concord West. They manufactured railway air brakes and associated equipment from 1911.
After the suburb and for work carried out by the Rotary Club of Concord
Arthur Walker was responsible for levelling of playing field for cricket. He was Secretary/Treasurer of the Concord West Cricket Club. Land was donated by Eadith Walker to the Club for…
end of Killoola Street, Rhodes Miss Love, who lived in “Lovedale” and ran an early school in Concord.
Should be Brice Mutton Reserve. Named for Brice Mutton, Mayor 1942-44, 1947. Father of Lerryn Mutton, MP
end of Victoria Avenue, Concord West For the creek – the border of the Municipality
After Thomas E. Warbrick, Mayor, 1918-1919
Commemorates Alfred Llewellyn Bray, eldest son of Thomas & Mary Bray (of Rhodes). Alfred Bray was the first Mayor of the newly proclaimed Municipality of Concord, serving during 1883 and…
This hospital continues the link with the Walker family as it was built on land acquired from Dame Eadith’s estate and the building was awarded the Sulman Prize for Architecture…