Early Land Grants

first land grants
first land grants

The first free settlers, who arrived on the “Bellona” on 16th January, 1793, received grants in an area named Liberty Plains, which was south of the Parramatta River about halfway between Sydney and Parramatta. They were Thomas Rose, who brought his wife and four children, Edward Powell, Thomas Webb, Frederick Meredith and Thomas’ nephew, Joseph Webb. Less than 6 months later a grant was made to Thomas Bishop. These were the first land grants made to free settlers (non-convict). These grants were made to establish food supplies for Sydney but the farms failed due to poor soil conditions and most of these farms were abandoned.

When Governor Phillip returned to England in late 1792 Grose became the Acting Governor. The following year (1793) instructions were received from England agreeing to grants of land to non-commissioned officers of the New South Wales Corps. The first of these grants were made to six non-commissioned officers, Richard Hudson, Richard Tuckwell, William Day, Joseph Radford, John Prosser and John West, who had chosen an eligible situation midway between Sydney and Parramatta, and who, in conjunction with four other settlers, occupied a district to be distinguished in future by the name of Concord.

These allotments extended inland from the water’s side, within two miles of the district named Liberty Plains”. This land was granted in an area now recognised as from the Concord Golf Club, along the alignment of Majors Bay Road in the direction of Parramatta Road. It is suggested that the western boundary of these grants might have approximated the present alignment of Flavelle Street. By the end of the year grants in this area were made to three free settlers; Shadrack Shaw, Henry Brewer and William Broughton

land grants c1883
land grants c1883

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *