From Our Collections

 

Flavelle Bros. & Company Trading Token

Henry Flavelle joined George Brush in an optician and jeweller’s business, Flavelle and Brush, at 87 King Street, Sydney in 1840.  Towards the end of the decade, the partners moved more towards the jewellery, rather than the optometry end of their business.

Brush left the business in 1850 and Flavelle brought in his brother John.  The new partners moved the business to 203 George Street.  By 1855 the brothers were sufficiently prosperous to extend their premises and open a branch in Brisbane.  It is believed that this was roughly the time that they issued their tokens.

Among the products of their workshops were medals commemorating the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

John Flavelle and his family lived on their estate, Wellbank, at the corner of Wellbank and Flavelle Streets, Concord.   This is now the site of the Concord Library.

 

Similar Posts

  • Nellie’s Putney Picnic

    Before the reform of Australia’s marriage laws in 1975, getting divorced was a difficult and generally humiliating experience.  One party had to prove their spouse was at fault in an open court of law. Lawyers could challenge the other side’s deposition, while seeking to show their client as the aggrieved party.  This often exposed intimate…

  • Ernest Lukeman

    Ernest Lukeman was involved in restarting the Commonwealth Football Association after the war. In 1920 he was appointed secretary of the reconstituted Australian Soccer Association (ASA), and continued in that position until 1933 He is the unacknowledged father of the team we now know as the Socceroos.  For the whole period between 1922 and 1933,…

  • What’s in a Name?

    Why do we give our houses names? In the past it was a way of connecting with our roots – a way of identifying with an English, Irish or Scottish background. Names such as “Alban” the Gaelic name of Scotland or “Erin” for Ireland were widely used, as were names that incorporated the word “Rose”…

  • They Also Served

    Sister Ida Jeanette Moreton was one of twenty trained nurses from New South Wales who volunteered to serve in French hospitals and medical centres during the Great War. Affectionately known as “Bluebirds” they wore a dark blue cloak trimmed in pale “NSW blue”. The Bluebirds served with the French Red Cross and although highly regarded…

  • History of Homebush Bay

    When Europeans arrived in 1788 Homebush Bay consisted of extensive tidal wetlands and thick bush. The area was first known as ‘The Flats’, and was recorded by Captain John Hunter within ten days of the arrival of the First Fleet. Although reports of the time commented on the Aboriginal people living in the area, there…

Add your first comment to this post