Who were the Mayors of Concord?
If you have some information about any of these Mayors of Concord, please Contact Us.
|1883-1886||Alfred L. Bray
Alfred Bray’s grandfather, Sergeant John Bray, was granted land at Rhodes in 1794; his eldest son, Thomas, expanded the family’s property and raised his family at Braygrove, the family home. Alfred L. Bray, Thomas’ eldest son, inherited Braygrove and became a prominent landowner and businessman in the Concord-Burwood District. He served as the first mayor of the newly proclaimed Municipality of Concord.
|1887-1889||William K. Chapman|
|1890-1891||Henry D. Bray
Henry Bray was the younger brother of Alfred Bray. He was granted twenty-two acres of land, at what is now North Strathfield, by Governor Denison in 1859. His original home was built on the land in 1859. It was later used as a laundry. In about 1861, Clermont House was erected on the site. It was designed by the notable architect John Bibb. Henry Bray served as an alderman on Council before becoming the third mayor of Concord.
Daniel Zoeller was a prominent figure in the district. He was able to turn his hand to many crafts, including building, painting, glazing and paperhanging and was responsible for a good deal of the early construction work in the district.
|1894-1895||Frederick A. Oatley|
|1896-1897||William K. Chapman
William Chapman, an ironmonger, lived at Hawthorne House in Gipps Street from 1888.
|1898-1899||Herbert S. Thompson|
|1900||William K. Chapman|
|1901||Herbert S. Thompson|
|1902-1904||Thomas O. Correy
Thomas Correy (the younger) inherited the very popular Correys Gardens Pleasure Grounds in Mortlake from his father, Thomas Obed Correy, Snr, in 1890. He was mayor of Concord three times and served on the Concord Council for over twenty years. Correys Avenue was named after him, as was the bandstand (now demolished) in Queen Elizabeth Park.
|1905||William K. Chapman|
|1906-1907||John J. Shipley|
|1908-1909||Henry A. Goddard
Goddard Park was named after him.
|1917-18||Thomas O. Correy|
|1919||Thomas F. Warbrick|
|1920||Henry A. Goddard|
|1921-1922||Thomas O. Correy|
|1923-1924||Samuel G. Lee|
|1934-1935||H. Roland Harrison|
|1936||Walter A. McInnes|
|1938||Colin K. Longmuir|
|1939||Anthony W.M. Duke|
|1940-1941||Adrian H. Nicholas|
Brice Mutton also represented Concord in State Parliament
|1948-1950||Walter T. King|
|1951-1952||Horatio F. Stanton|
|1953-1954||Stanley C. Shrimpton|
|1955-1958||P. James Bartley|
|1959-1960||Kenneth A.F. Wilkes|
|1961-1962||Lerryn W. Mutton
Lerryn Mutton was the son of Brice Mutton and also represented Concord in State Parliament.
|1963-1964||George E. Rider
George Rider inherited the firm of Rider & Bell Pty.Ltd. from his father, Edwin Rider, in 1920. This manufacturing engineering firm was unique in being the only produced in Australia of firemen’s brass helmets. It also produced automotive components, BADGES, DIES and a range of fishing and gardening equipment.
|1965-1966||Kenneth A. Rivett|
|1967-1968||Leslie J. Davis|
|1969-1970||Sidney K. Money|
|1971-1972||Ronald P. Routley|
|1973-1974||Alan J. Wright|
|1975-1976||Geoffrey J. Payne|
|1977-1978||Frank W. Davidson|
|1979-1980||Leslie J. Davis|
|1981-1982||Sidney K. Money|
|1983||Mervyn C. Clucas|
|1983-1984||Erl H. Calver|
|1984-1985||Ronald N. Peterson|
|1986||Erl H. Calver|
|1987||Peter R. Woods|
|1988||Mervyn C. Clucas|
|1989||Ronald N. Peterson|
|1990||Perry R. Long|
|1992-2001||Peter Woods, OAM|