Work began on the first stage of the hall in 1930
The possibility of raising funds to build a hall was first mooted in 1927 when two members of the Ex-Servicemen’s Club were given the task of searching for a suitable site.
The location, at the corner of Majors Bay Road and Davidson Avenue, was secured for £600 ($1200) and the deposit of £60 was raised by a benefit night at the Ritz Theatre across the road.
This was the beginning of many fund-raising efforts which were so successful that work began on the first stage of the hall in 1930.
Concord Memorial Hall Club members, many of whom were unemployed in the early years of the depression, dug all the foundations and laid concrete for the building.
The Women’s Auxiliary provided a tent from which the workers were served with food and drinks
With declining membership of the Concord Ex-Servicemen’s Club after World War II, the hall was handed over to Concord Council. Further additions and improvements were made but the original hall, built with such fervour in the depression years, still remains.
It now operates as a the Concord Function Centre.