Named after John de Marquet Blaxland, Anna Walker’s elder brother. At the same time it commemorates her “family” name. (Leeds Street and Llewellyn Street were previously part of this street.)
was a major industry which began production in Alfred Street, Rhodes in 1917. Production included white lead, linseed oil and paint. During the 1920s it supplied the 272,000 litres of paint required for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
became a major producer of chemicals and extruded polyethylene film at Rhodes.
a timber preservative manufacturer, was established in Rhodes in 1928. In 1957 Timbrol merged with the giant US Union Carbide organisation.
whose silos dominated Rhodes Point, were located on the earlier site of John Darling’s flour mills. Allied Mills, with its subsidiary Allied Feeds, took over the flour mill in 1963.
established in 1919, was situated in Rhodes
purchased the site from Hoskins in 1943 and produced acetic anhydride and cellulose acetate developed in response to war needs.
was located on the western side of the railway at Rhodes between 1911 and 1928.
for several years from 1974, manufactured Malvern Star and Speedwell bicycles across the road from Tulloch’s site, on the eastern side of Concord Road.
Unknown origin The large fig tree standing in the corner of this park is known as the “Strike Tree” as this is where the workers from Tulloch’s Phoenix Iron Works gathered to discuss the situation any time there was a strike at the factory.The business closed in 1974. A memorial lamp post was erected in…
Bray family were pioneer settlers with a land grant in 1794. Their home, “Braygrove”, was situated opposite on the other side of Concord Road. Alfred Llewellyn Bray was the first Mayor of Concord (1883-1886) and Henry David Bray, Alfred’s younger brother, was the third Mayor of Concord (1890-1891)
Named for King George V