Cabarita is an aboriginal word (pronounced “Caba-reeta”), that probably
means “by the water”. It was the name given to the point of land at the north-west corner of Hen and Chicken Bay. Exactly when the name “Cabarita” was given to the locality is not known, but by 1871 William Cox and John Dowswell had properties in the vicinity.
To provide access to their properties they “co-operated to clear sufficient bush to create the first cart track along the line of today’s Cabarita Road”.
“A Local History of Cabarita N.S.W.” by M.J.McGillion Auburn. February 1982. Manuscript.)