Flavelle Bros. & Company Trading Token
Henry Flavelle joined George Brush in an optician and jeweller’s business, Flavelle and Brush, at 87 King Street, Sydney in 1840. Towards the end of the decade, the partners moved more towards the jewellery, rather than the optometry end of their business.
Brush left the business in 1850 and Flavelle brought in his brother John. The new partners moved the business to 203 George Street. By 1855 the brothers were sufficiently prosperous to extend their premises and open a branch in Brisbane. It is believed that this was roughly the time that they issued their tokens.
Among the products of their workshops were medals commemorating the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
John Flavelle and his family lived on their estate, Wellbank, at the corner of Wellbank and Flavelle Streets, Concord. This is now the site of the Concord Library.